Torie (Bell) Gerring
Life and Work
Victoria “Torie” Louise Bell was born to Bruce and Zelma Bell on May 8, 1922 in Leduc, Alberta. She attended Conjuring Lake, and Humble schools, and finished her Grade 12 in Calmar, Alberta. She later went to Edmonton to attend Normal School and obtain her Teaching Certificate. Torie’s first teaching position was north of Edson, called Marlboro School and Pine Grove School in 1945. Her next school was in Carnwood at the Liberton School. She married Lawrence Gering in 1947, and they were blessed with their daughter Diana in 1948. Shortly after the couple moved to the Westrose area where they purchased a farm and Torie taught at the Fletcher School. In 1952 they moved to Millet and Torie taught at a little school in Leduc. In 1953 they were blessed again with their son Lorne. Torie later taught at Michigan Center until she received a position in 1956 at Millet School as the Grade 2 teacher where she taught until retiring in 1973. Her students loved her to bits as she read stories to her class every day and used such great expressions when she read out loud.
Torie had pleasant memories of working with the Cub Scout Group Committee, Millet Home and School, Ladies Curling Club, Church choir, Recreation Board, and especially time spent with the Junior Choir. She was an instigator of the PlayNites fundraising for the new Curling Rink and she was very excited and interested in the organizing of events for the Museum and wished she could have spent more time there.
Torie was very family orientated and shared her love of music with her family, especially her grandchildren, Patrick, Nicole, Crystal, Larry, and Rebecca and numerous great-grandchildren. They all have special memories of their grandmother tapping her foot to music while knitting or playing numerous songs on the piano or organ by memory.
Her love and dedication to teaching, her community and her family are what makes Torie Gerring such a miraculous woman and will remembered as it for generations to come.